Skip to main content

Mobility Aids Housing Grant Scheme

In order to qualify for a housing grant, the work must be necessary for either emergency medical reasons or emergency structural issues that relate to or affect the applicant’s property.

Who is this grant for?

This grant is for older people and/or people with a disability who find it hard to move around
their home due to mobility issues.

What type of home is this grant for?

Your home can qualify for this grant if it is any of the following:

  • privately owned (you or your family own it)
  • rented from a landlord with a current tenancy agreement registered with the Residential
    Tenancies Board (RTB) and you have the landlord’s permission to make the changes
  • provided by an Approved Housing Body (a list of these can be found at
  • a communal residence – accommodation where people live together in group homes

What can I use this grant for?

You can use this grant to improve access in your home like adding:

  • grab rails
  • a ramp
  • an accessible shower
  • a stair lift

How much is the grant for?

It depends. The most you can get is €6,000 or the total cost of the work approved by your local authority (whichever is less). This grant can cover 100% of the cost of the work, up to a maximum of €6,000.

There are some disregards and deductions that can reduce the amount of household income that will be taken into account. We explain these on page 8 of the application form. Note: A grant is not available if the household income for the previous tax year is more than €30,000 after the disregards and deductions are applied.

Special requirements for this grant

To help us to assess your application we ask that you provide a written quotation and some photographs of the area or room where you hope to carry out works.  

If you are applying for a stairlift you will need a report from an Occupational Therapist.

Conditions for acceptance and documentation required

In order to qualify for a housing grant, the work must be necessary for emergency medical reasons or emergency structural issues affecting the property of the applicant. 

Central Heating: There is no grant available under this scheme for upgrading an existing central heating system. These grants are available from the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland at 1850 927000 or  

You should provide the following to assist us in considering your application where possible:

  • Photographic evidence
  • Medical reports and letters of support from health care professionals

Documentation required

Please be sure to include the following documentation in the application. We regret that we must return all incomplete applications. 

  • Fully completed application form
  • Evidence of household income from all sources
  • A written itemised quotation will help us to process your application
  • Evidence of compliance with local property tax

Page last reviewed: 14/02/20

Content managed by: Housing and Integration Department

Back to top


Housing grants
Housing and integration department
Clare County Council
Áras Contae an Chláir
New Road
Co. Clare
V95 DXP2
(065) 6846400
Opening hours
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and by appointment only from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
More details and map