Housing Aid for Older People Scheme
Who is this grant for?
This grant is for people 66 years old or more to do essential repairs, so that they can continue
to live in their own home. Sometimes this grant can be paid to people under 66 years old, but
only in cases of hardship.
What type of home is this grant for?
A home that is privately owned where the older person:
- owns the home; or
- has a right to live in the home (right of residence) where the work will be done
What can I use this grant for?
- You can use this grant to do essential repairs. This could be to:
- help repair or replace the roof;
- upgrade the electrical wiring;
- repair or replace doors and windows;
- provide central heating (where there is no central heating or it is broken beyond
Special requirements for this grant
To help us to assess your application we ask that you provide a written quotation and some photographs of the area or room where you hope to carry out works.
No medical documents are needed for this grant, as it is based on the condition of your home, and how urgently the repairs are needed. However, if your application is urgent due to a medical condition, you will need to complete the Doctor’s Certificate section of the application form on pages 17-18.