Skip to main content

Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability

Who is this grant for?

This grant is for people with a physical, sensory, mental health or intellectual disability. It is for big changes you need to make to your home.

What type of home is this grant for?

Your home can qualify for this grant if it is any of the following:

  • privately owned (you or your family own it)
  • rented from a landlord with a current tenancy agreement registered with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) and you have the landlord’s permission to make the changes
  • provided by an Approved Housing Body (a list of these can be found at
  • a communal residence – accommodation where people live together in group homes

What can I use this grant for?

You can use this grant to improve access in your home like adding:

  • a ramp or other ways to access your home
  • grab rails
  • bathroom facilities like an accessible shower or a downstairs toilet
  • a stair lift
  • space for wheelchair access
  • an extension (typically for a bedroom and/or bathroom to accommodate a person with a disability).

Special requirements for this grant

To help us to assess your application we ask that you provide a written quotation and some photographs of the area or room where you hope to carry out works.

Back to top


Housing grants
Housing Department
Clare County Council
Áras Contae an Chláir
New Road
Co. Clare
V95 DXP2
(065) 6846400
Opening hours
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and by appointment only from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
More details and map