Green Schools Programme
Green schools is an international environmental education programme, offering a well defined, controllable way for schools to take environmental issues into the curriculum and apply them to the day-to-day running of the school. Green schools is a holistic, long-term programme.
Green schools offers your school opportunities:
- To help develop children's decision making skills
- A way to build students confidence and sense of citizenship through participation
- To supply curriculum materials and ideas for projects and events
- To access a network of support agencies
- To link with other schools in Ireland and internationally
- To gain a prestigious award
- To provide local and national publicity
- For financial savings
- To reduce litter and waste
- To improve school environment
- To reduce energy consumption levels
- To involve the local community
The award has four main stages:
- Implementation of green schools programme
- Applying for the award
- Award renewal
There are currently over 125 schools from this county registered with An Taisce under this programme.
So far, 97 schools have been awarded the green flag by An Taisce and are flying it proudly outside their schools. Over a hundred schools are actively participating in the programme and working towards gaining the flag.
Green schools is run by An Taisce in co-operation with local authorities throughout Ireland and is sponsored by Coca-Cola Bottlers Ireland Ltd. Green schools is an initiative of FEE (Foundation for Environmental Education) and is referred to internationally as eco-schools. The programme is operating in 37 countries in Europe and beyond.
For further information and to register for the project contact:
Cathy Joyce Green Schools Manager,
Environmental Education Unit,
5A Swift's Alley,
Telephone: (01) 4002222
Page last reviewed: 14/05/20Back to top