Skip to main content

Town and Village Renewal Scheme

Clare County Council is advertising for Expressions of Interest for the 2022 Town and Village Renewal Scheme. The Town and Village Renewal Scheme is an initiative under the Government’s Action Plan for Rural Development 'Realising our Rural Potential'.

Deadline for receipt of Expressions of Interest is 4:00 p.m. Wednesday 22nd June 2022 

Email your expressions of to townandvillage@clarecoco.ie

The priorities of the 2022 Town and Village Renewal Scheme are:

  • Projects that bring vacant and derelict buildings and sites back into use as multi-purpose spaces. e.g. Tourism, Cultural or Community Hubs
  • Projects that bring vacant properties in town centres back into use as Remote Working Hubs. This also includes funding for the repurposing of existing community or publicly owned buildings in town or village centres to facilitate remote working.
  • Projects to support the upgrade and enhancement of shop-fronts and street facades in towns and villages.
  • Projects to develop parks, green spaces and recreational amenities in town centres to make them vibrant hubs for community enjoyment, and to increase footfall for local businesses.
  • Marketing campaigns targeted at attracting remote workers and mobile talent to their county/region; and promotion of specific town/villages to attract new customers and/or business investment.
  • Projects that support and enhance the night-time economy in line with emerging recommendations from the Night-Time Economy Taskforce.
  • Regeneration projects that support active and vibrant town and village centres; these projects should be identified in town and village masterplans (or similar) developed in collaboration with the local community, businesses and the other relevant stakeholders in the town or village.

Project development measure

Under this Measure Local Authorities can apply for grant funding of up to 90% of development costs for up to 2 strategic large scale project that may be subsequently progressed with funding from the Town & Village Renewal Scheme e.g. detailed design, preparation for the planning and/or procurement, appropriate assessment etc.

Marketing scheme measure

The measure is being introduced on a trial basis to fund marketing campaigns targeted at attracting remote workers and mobile talent to the county.

Grant levels

Clare County council can submit up to 9 applications as follows:

  • 5 applications - Funding €20,000 to €250,000
  • 1 application - Funding €20,000 to €500,000
  • 2 applications - Funding up to €50,000 (Project Development Measure)
  • 1 application - Funding up to €50,000 (New Marketing Scheme Measure)

Under the 2022 scheme, grant funding of 90% of the total cost of a project will be provided for any individual project. The remaining 10% match funding must be contributed by the Local Authority and/or the community.

Project selection

Selection of the 9 projects to be submitted to the department for funding consideration will be by means of a competitive process. Expressions of Interest received will be assessed based on the priorities as contained in the Scheme Outline. The Expression of Interest form must be completed in full and submitted to the council for consideration. Applicants should ensure that the necessary consents/permissions are in place and that detailed costed proposals including quotations are submitted with the Expression of Interest.

Only projects that are capable of being delivered within an 18 month timeframe should be submitted.

The deadline for receipt of Expressions of Interest is 4:00 p.m. Wednesday 22nd June 2022. Please refer to the scheme outline before completing the Expression of Interest Form.

Community groups are strongly encouraged to liaise with their local Rural and Community Development Officer in advance of submitting an Expression of Interest.

Page last reviewed: 01/06/22

Back to top

Contact

Town & Village Renewal
Rural and Community Development
Clare County Council
Áras Contae an Chláir
New Road
Ennis
Co. Clare
V95 DXP2
(065) 6846471
Opening hours
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with offices open through lunch. 
More details and map