Killaloe Bypass / Shannon Bridge Crossing
- Project description
- Current status
- Natura Impact Statement
- Environmental Impact Statements
- Further information request from An Bord Pleanála
The proposed Killaloe Bypass, Shannon Bridge Crossing and R494 Improvement Scheme will provide a western bypass of Killaloe, a new bridge crossing of the River Shannon and an upgrade of the existing R494 regional road from Ballina to the N7 at Bridhill. The entire scheme is approximately 6.2km and will cross the River Shannon approximately 1km to the south of the existing Killaloe Bridge and will cross the Kilmastulla River (a tributary of the River Shannon and part of the Lower River Shannon SAC) on the R494.
The proposed scheme has been broken down into three sections as follows:
- Killaloe Bypass: This part of the scheme aims to create a western bypass around the town of Killaloe which will connect the R463 to the north of town with the proposed Shannon Bridge Crossing section and R463 to the south of the town.
- Shannon Bridge Crossing: This section of the scheme will cross the River Shannon approximately 1km south of the existing Killaloe Bridge and will connect the proposed Killaloe Bypass with the R494.
- R494 Upgrade: This section will involve widening, regrading and local realignment of the R494 from its junction with the R496 and proposed Shannon Bridge Crossing south of Ballina, as far as the junction with the R445 (previously known as N7) north of Birdhill.
Clare County Council appointed RPS Consulting Engineers in 2018 to undertake the undertake the detailed design, preparation of tender documentation, tender evaluation, contract administration and construction supervision of the proposed Killaloe Bypass, Shannon Bridge Crossing and R494 Improvement.
The detail design phase is currently ongoing and to assist in this process, Clare County Council have commissioned a number of advance survey and investigation contracts to supplement the information already gathered in earlier phases of the project. These contracts are being undertaken at the moment and include:
- Topographical surveys
- Environmental and ecological surveys
- Ground investigations
- Pavement and utility investigations
- Archaeological investigations
Some additional advance works contracts may be commissioned in early 2020. Clare County Council continue to liaise with DTTaS, TII, OPW, IW and the Utility companies in relation to technical compliance and statutory consents. This authority and its agents are also working towards finalising the various Landowner Deals by agreement where possible.
The Tender Prior Information Notice (PIN) was published in December 2019 with the scheme expected to go to tender in early Summer 2020.Following the procurement process and evaluation of tenders received, we would expect to award the contract in late 2020 subject to Department approval.The construction period is expected to take 3 years thereafter.
- Killaloe Bypass, Shannon Bridge Crossing and R494 Improvement - Natura Impact Statement [PDF, 10.67MB]
- Killaloe Bypass, Shannon Bridge Crossing and R494 Improvement - Volume 1: Non-technical Summary [PDF, 8.9MB]
- Killaloe Bypass, Shannon Bridge Crossing and R494 Improvement - Volume 2: Environmental Impact Statement [PDF, 9.95MB]
- Killaloe Bypass, Shannon Bridge Crossing and R494 Improvement - Volume 3: Environmental Impact Statement - Figures [PDF, 75.7MB]
- Further information request letter from An Bord Pleanála [PDF, 1.25MB]
- Response to request for further information from An Bord Pleanála [PDF, 5.33MB]
- Shannon Bridge Crossing - Constraints Study Report [PDF, 46.2MB]
- Shannon Bridge Crossing - Volume A - Route Selection Report [PDF, 3.4MB]
- Shannon Bridge Crossing - Volume B - Route Selection Report - Drawings [PDF, 51MB]
- Shannon Bridge Crossing - Volume C - Route Selection Report - Appendices [PDF, 4.72MB]
- Killaloe Bypass and R494 Improvement - Constraints Study Report [PDF, 24.8MB]
- Killaloe Bypass and R494 Improvement - Route Selection Report [PDF 17.46MB]
CPO Confirmation Notice
- Killaloe Bypass, Shannon Bridge Crossing and R494 Improvement - CPO Confirmation Notice [PDF, 195KB]