Clare Age-Friendly County
- Age-Friendly Ireland
- Clare Age-Friendly Strategy & Action Plan
- Clare Age-Friendly Alliance Board
- Age Friendly Publications
In 2013 the Department of Health published the National Positive Ageing Strategy to plan for an ageing population. The Strategy sets out a vision for an age-friendly society through the achievement of four national goals (participation, health, security and research).
Established in January 2014, Age-Friendly Ireland hosted by Meath County Council, coordinates the national Age Friendly Cities and Counties Programme. The Programme guides the development of effective city- and county-based, multi-agency Age-Friendly Strategies aimed at improving the quality of life of older people throughout Ireland.
In an international context, Age-Friendly Ireland also provides the links between the National Positive Ageing Strategy and the Global Age-friendly Cities Guide, published by the World Health Organisation (WHO) in 2007.
The Age-Friendly County Strategy for Clare addresses the opportunities and challenges posed by a predicted growth in the ageing population internationally, nationally and at county level. The latest strategy was developed in 2018 following consultation with all key stakeholders and research from the Healthy and Positive Ageing Initiative. It outlines an Action Plan for the following five years. The Action Plan aims to ensure that the county’s social, cultural, economic and physical environment is undertaken in an age-friendly manner that supports a healthy and positive experience of ageing.
The age-friendly programme in the county is managed by the Clare Age-Friendly Alliance Board and is implemented by an implementation team, both of which work on the principle of inter-agency collaboration.
- Pat Dowling (Chief Executive, Clare Co. Council & Chairperson)
- Maria Molloy (Chair Implementation Team)
- Karen Fennessy (Programme Co-Ordinator, Clare Co. Council)
- Carole Head (Chair, Older People’s Council)
- Stella O’Gorman (Vice-Chair, Older People’s Council)
- Patricia Anne Moore (Public Relations Officer, Older People’s Council)
- Doirín Graham (Chief Executive, Clare Local Development Company)
- Fiacre Hennessy (Manager, Clarecare)
- John Kerin (Chief Superintendent, An Garda Síochána)
- Ethna McTeague (Manager of Community Services for Older People, HSE)
- Laura Ward (Manager, Clare Bus)
- Sheena Twist (Senior Administrator, Family Carers)
- Jennifer Moran Stritch (Lecturer, Limerick Institute of Technology)
- Prof. Rachel Msetfi (Executive Dean, University of Limerick)
- Breda O'Driscoll (Community Education Facilitator, Limerick & Clare Education and Training Board)
Age Friendly Publications
Date issued: 26/09/18
Clare Age Friendly Strategy 2018-2022 [ PDF, 4013KB]
Date issued: 01/06/18
Clare Age Friendly Annual Report 2016 [ PDF, 15244KB]
Date issued: 19/10/18
Clare Bus Service Schedule 2018 [ PDF, 118KB]
Date issued: 01/06/18
Our Elders - Research on post-independence generation in Clare [ PDF, 1277KB]
Date issued: 14/12/16
Clare Age-Friendly Strategy, 2013 [ PDF, 1592KB]
Page last reviewed: 27/09/18Back to top