Proposed Variation No. 1 To The Clare County Development Plan 2017-2023
Notice is hereby given pursuant to Section 13(2)(b) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended) that Clare County Council has prepared a proposed Variation No.1 to the Clare County Development Plan 2017-2023.
Pursuant to the Strategic Environmental Assessment Directive (2001/42/EC) and the Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations, 2004, S.I. no. 436/2004, as amended by S.I. no. 201/2011, the Planning Authority has undertaken a Strategic Environmental Assessment of the proposed Variation No.1
Pursuant to Article 6 of the Habitats Directive 92/ 43/EEC the planning authority has undertaken an Appropriate Assessment and prepared a Natura Impact Report for the proposed Variation No.1 .
A Strategic Flood Risk Assessment of the proposed Variation No.1 has also been prepared.
The proposed variation provides for the following changes to:
(1) Volume 1 - Written Statement of the Clare County Development Plan 2017-2023:
- To incorporate the use and development of data centres and power generating infrastructure into the enterprise zoning definition, the following additional text is proposed to be added into the zoning objective for enterprise as set out in Chapter 19,
“data centres,” and “power generating infrastructure as well “
(2) Volume 3(a) Ennis Municipal District – Written Statement and Settlement Plans of the Clare County Development Plan 2017-2023:
- Amend the zoning objective for the lands currently identified as Industrial IND1 to Enterprise ENT3 at Toureen and extend the Enterprise ENT3 zoning objective to 45ha, onto lands currently identified as being in the open countryside;
- Zone an area of approximately 10 hectares as Buffer Space at Toureen;
- Replace text in Section 1.5.2 associated with lands currently identified in the Ennis Settlement Plan as Industrial Zoning (IND1) with text associated with the extended site identified as Enterprise (ENT3) to read as follows:
Project Ireland 2040 - National Planning Framework sets out the strategic importance of data centres in Irelands’ Enterprise Strategy. Having regard to the Government Statement on ‘The Role of Data Centres in Ireland’, which in particular recommends having a plan-led approach to data centres, this 55ha site has been identified and zoned as Enterprise (45ha) and for Buffer Space (10ha) with a specific use for a Data Centre Campus due to its proximity to the electricity sub-station, its proximity to the M18 motorway and adjoining regional road network, the location of the site relative to the Gas Pipeline, the availability of Dark Fibre and the proximity of the site to Shannon International Airport and Ennis Town.
This site is zoned to accommodate a Data Centre campus which consists of one or more structures, used primarily for the storage, management and dissemination of data and the provision of associated power electricity connections and energy generating infrastructure.
- Replace text currently in Section 2.13.5 relating to lands at Toureen with new additional text and in addition to that set out above, include mitigation arising from the Strategic Environmental Assessment, Habitat Directive Assessment and Strategic Flood Risk Assessment.
The Proposed Variation Document that accompanies this proposed Variation provides detail on the above.
The reason for the proposed variation is to give effect to the Government Policy Statement on the Development of Data Centres in Ireland by identifying in a plan led manner the preferred location of a Data Centre in County Clare.
Copies of the proposed variation including the Proposed Variation Document, the Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) - Environmental Report and Non-Technical Summary, the Appropriate Assessment - Natura Impact Report and Strategic Flood Risk Assessment may be inspected during normal opening hours from Friday 21st December to Tuesday 29th January 2019 (inclusive) at the following locations:
- Áras Contae an Chláir, New Road, Ennis;
- De Valera Library, Ennis and Local Study Centre, Harmony Row, Ennis;
- All public libraries;
- All Municipal District Offices;
Alternatively they can be downloaded below:
Written submissions or observations (two copies) with respect to the proposed variation to the plan, which will be taken into consideration before the making of the variation, including submissions on the SEA Environmental Report and Non-Technical Summary, the Habitats Directive Assessment – Natura Impact Report and the Flood Risk Assessment may be made to:
Clare County Council,
Áras Contae an Chláir,
Ennis, Co. Clare or by email to email@example.com (max. document size by email: 6 MB) on or before 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday 29th January 2019
Submissions should be clearly marked “Submission to the Proposed Variation No.1 to the Clare County Development Plan 2017-2023”.
NB. As this is a public consultation process, submissions may be made available for public viewing and consequently personal details such as address, email address, and phone number should be submitted on a separate sheet accompanying any submissions or observations.
Page last updated: 19/12/18Back to top