Skip to main content

Change of ownership

Changing ownership of a vehicle can be done in the motor tax office only if the new owner is taxing the vehicle.

Ownership changes are done via the seller and buyer signing the back of the vehicle  registration certificate.

To change the ownership of a vehicle please send the vehicle registration certificate signed by the vendor and the buyer,including the date of sale to the Department of Transport, Shannon Town Centre, Co. Clare.  Lo-Call 1890-411412):

  • If sold privately, complete part b of the vehicle licensing certificate or the registration certificate for post-April 2004 vehicles.
  • If sold to a motor dealer, give your dealer the vehicle licensing certificate or registration certificate and complete form RF105, supplied by your dealer.

Page last reviewed: 30/03/16

Back to top