You are here:

Refund of motor tax

Application for refunds of motor tax can be made to the Ennis Motor Tax Office, on Form RF120 [PDF, 67KB], in circumstances when:

  • The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the state.
  • The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner.
  • A vehicle in respect of which a tax disc has been taken out, has not been used in a public place at any time since the issue of the disc.
  • The owner of the vehicle has ceased because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle.
  • The owner of the vehicle has ceased because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle.
  • The owner of the vehicle has ceased because of service overseas with the Irish Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.

Applicants for a refund of vehicle licence must be the registered owner of the vehicle. Applicants must surrender the relevant tax disc immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calendar months must be left on the disc when surrendered, no matter the reason for the refund.  Supplementary evidence such as the following is required, depending on the circumstances:

  • A certification of destruction from an authorised treatment facility.
  • Garda confirmation of theft.
  • Export confirmation document.
  • Medical certificate for entire remaining period of disc.
  • College,employer or Defence forces confirmation of absence from the state.

Application form

Application forms are available from the Motor Taxation office or they may be downloaded below. 

Back to top

Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 03/08/16