You are here:

Housing rents

How is my rent calculated?

Local authority rents are based on a system called "differential rents". This means that the rent is based on your ability to pay, so if your income is low, your rent will be low; and if your income increases, so will your rent. The income of any other members of your household will be added to the rent calculation and there may be deductions for any children in your family.

Each local authority operates its own rent scheme. Clare County Council has a minimum rent, which may depend on the size of your home. There is also a hardship clause that gives local authorities discretion to reduce the rent if there are particular reasons to do this. If your income or the income of anyone in your family changes, you must inform the local authority.

What happens if I miss a payment?

The most common difficulty local authority tenants experience, is rent arrears. If for whatever reason you find your rent account is in arrears, it is vital to talk to your local authority or housing association and explain your situation. It is in everyone's interest to sort the problem out, without having to evict you. But if you cannot pay your rent and you fail to do anything about it, you may end up losing your home.

If you are in financial difficulty, the local authority or housing association will facilitate a payment plan to enable you to pay off arrears over a period of time.The Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) can also be availed of and is a free, confidential service for people with debt and money management problems. Anyone from any background can experience debt and money problems and MABS staff are fully trained to help. The MABS service is available through the MABS offices located in Ennis and Shannon.

How can I pay my rent?

  • Pay housing rents online
  • Household Budget (Deduction from social welfare payment)
  • Standing Order
  • Direct Debit
  • To your Account manager
  • To the Cash Office located in Ennis, (council headquarters) and in Ennistymon and Westbury Area Offices as well as Shannon and Scariff Municipal Districts.

How often must I pay my rent?

Rent must be paid weekly

For further information contact

Housing Section
Clare County Council,
Áras Contae an Chláir,
New Road,
Co. Clare
Telephone: (065) 6846334
Fax: (065) 6866058

Back to top

Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 01/08/17