You are here:

Public premises licences

The fire authority is a notice party to many types of licence applications for public premises. The  solicitor for the applicant serves notice on the fire authority that a licence application is being made to the court. This gives the fire authority the opportunity to inspect premises and to give evidence in court prior to the granting of a licence. The fire authority charges a fee for this inspection.

The types of licence notifications the fire authority receive are:

  • Certificates of Registration
  • Excise Licences
  • Lottery Licences
  • Club Licence
  • Occasional Licences
  • Public Dance Hall Licences
  • Transfer of Licences
  • Hotel Licence
  • Pub

Licensing procedure

On receipt of notification of a licence application from the applicant's solicitor the fire authority will formally acknowledge the application. The applicant will be advised to arrange an inspection of the premises with the assigned fire officer. The applicant will also be requested to have test certificates for the following (if relevant) ready for inspection.

  • Electrical
  • Emergency Lighting
  • Fire Detection and Alarm System
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Ventilation System
  • Upholstery

On the day of the inspection the inspecting officer (where relevant) will check the following items:

  • Final Exit / Escape Doors
  • Locking Devices and Push-Bar Devices
  • Internal Escape Routes
  • Fire Doors
  • Signage, Exit Signs and Fire Instruction Notices
  • Emergency Lighting
  • Fire Detection and Alarm System
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Furnishing and Fittings
  • High Risk / Storage Areas
  • Fire Brigade Access
  • Fire Safety Register and Staff Training

Licence applicants should ensure that prior to the inspection that all the above have been checked and that annual test certificates are available for inspection. This will minimise delays in obtaining your licence. If the fire authority considers deficiencies exist a schedule of works will be issued to the applicant. The applicant will be required to have these works completed prior to the fire authority agreeing to the granting of their licence.

Back to top

Content Last Updated/Reviewed: 01/05/15