WEEE - Retailers
- As a retailer how can I register with Clare County Council?
- How must W.E.E.E. be stored at my premises?
- Do I need a waste collection permit to transport W.E.E.E.?
- Do I need a waste collection permit if I want to collect W.E.E.E. to repair and sell on?
- If my customer is a business, am I obliged to take back their W.E.E.E. on a one for one basis?
- Can I, as a retailer, provide a designated collection point for W.E.E.E.?
Registration entails completing a form undertaking to comply with General Binding Rules on the environmentally sound management of W.E.E.E. and to forward this and a nominal fee (€20) to Clare County Council. Initial registration will cover 12 months, with registration taking place annually from 1st January thereafter. Retailers must register each shop with the functional area of Clare County Council.
W.E.E.E. taken back at retailers’ premises needs to be stored and handled properly. All sites for the storage of W.E.E.E. must have impermeable surfaces . If the W.E.E.E. is to be stored in an outdoor area, this must have weatherproof covering. Spillage collection facilities must also be provided.
No. Retailers who are registered with Clare County Council and who have accepted W.E.E.E. back on a free one-for-one basis are exempted from requiring a waste collection permit when transporting that W.E.E.E. to an approved collection or recovery facility.
No, you do not need a waste collection permit since you are diverting the W.E.E.E. for recovery. However, you will need to register as retailer of W.E.E.E. when you are selling on the Electrical and Electronic Equipment (EEE) and must fulfill all retailer obligations including one for one take back.
Yes, once the W.E.E.E. is an item that you would usually find in a home and in the same amounts that you would generally find in a private home. Commercial businesses cannot dispose of W.E.E.E. free of charge at the civic amenity sites.
If you wish to provide a designated collection point for W.E.E.E. contact your Local Authority where the premises is located and also contact the collective compliance scheme i.e. European Recycling Platform.
- Local Authority: Limerick County Council
Facility Location: Newcastle West - Telephone: (061) 78610 Retailer
Kilmallock (063) 98836 Retailer
- Local Authority: Limerick City Council
Facility Location: Hegarty Metals - Telephone: (061) 418153 Retailer
- Local Authority: Clare County Council
Facility Location: Ballyduff Beg Recycling Centre - Telephone: (065) 6836960 Retailer
- Local Authority: Kerry County Council
Facility Location: North Kerry Landfill - Telephone: (066) 7129195 Retailer
Coolcaslagh Transfer Station (Killarney) (064) 33522 Retailer
Miltown Transfer Station (061) 9767385 Retailer
Caherciveen Transfer Station (066) 9472640 Retailer
Kenmare Transfer Station (087) 6863106 Retailer
Page last reviewed: 01/05/15Back to top